GETTING STARTED AT YOUR SECONDARY SCHOOL
We work very hard to ensure all of our students are made welcome and accepted into the Birkenhead family. This is a happy school where everybody is somebody.
New Year 9 (form 3) students come to us from a number of intermediate schools:
• Birkdale Intermediate
• Glenfield Intermediate
• Northcote Intermediate
• Takapuna Normal Intermediate
• Ponsonby Intermediate
ON THE FIRST DAY
• Only Year 9 students and the Year 13 Peer Support leaders attend.
• Students assemble in our theatre to meet their Dean and form teacher.
• They also meet their Year 13 Peer Support leaders who look after them and take them on an orientation tour of the college.
• After the powhiri (welcome), students then go to their form class and the form teacher organises stationery, timetables, music and sport.
WHAT CLASS WILL MY CHILD BE IN?
Our classes are streamed and this is based on their reports, PAT scores, teacher information, friendship groups. We want each student in a positive learning environment.
WHAT SUPPORT AND GUIDANCE IS THERE?
Support for each student is available from form teachers, deans, guidance counsellors and peer support leaders. More information about student support.
The happiest students work hard in class and participate in a number of activities including sport, music, art and drama.
WHAT SUBJECTS WILL BE STUDIED?
Art, English, Health and Physical Education, Mathematics, Music, Science, Social Studies, Technology. (Computing, Food & Biotechnology - $20 materials fee)
Students must select two half year options and one full year language; OR two full year languages.
Art, Drama, Graphics & Design, Music, Food & Technology, Workshop Technology.
French, Japanese, Maori, English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), Extra English.